October 25, 2010

New beginnings

Hard to believe we have been here 10 days. It has been a whirlwind!

We arrived last Saturday at 6:40 a.m. and Anne picked us up from the airport. When we got to the house Jonny and Thorsten were bouncing with excitement; I think I managed a big grin. We slept until about 1:30 and then Joe, Shannon, and Anne met at our house to exchange vehicles and for Joe and Shannon to meet us. Anne stayed and had a bite to eat with us and then we toured Walnut Hills until about 4:30. At 6:30 Ben W was at our door to take us to dinner with his awesome family.

Sunday was a great church service followed by lunch and a trip to the corn maze. It was nice to spend some extra time with a few of the children I will be involved with for the next year! Ben W's car broke down on the way so we ended up split in two groups of around 12. I had a paper to finish for my one of my master's classes so the guys fixed supper. It was really good! That night we had the pleasure of having Laura and Annette as house guests! That was a true blessing for me. I was exhausted and just needed listening ears, thank you both!

Monday was a day of exploration for me. I went through my new office and tried to stay busy as much as possible. That evening I went to Kroger and while I was there Laura called to say that she and her mom were going to a larger store and wanted to know if I and/or the guys would like to ride along. Thorsten and I went and it was a useful and productive trip. When we got back Anne was already at the house to give me the computer files I needed for my new responsibilities. (I did not budget my time quite right.)

Tuesday I had a welcome visit from Laura and Annette and we talked for a few minutes. Then I had my first meeting with Ben W at a local restaurant called Parkside Cafe. It was a great meal and a useful meeting. Ben dropped me at the post office and I walked home. That evening I made dinner for Jonny and I (Thorsten had to work late). We watched The Guardian and it was nice to relax.

Wednesday I took a tour of the neighborhood starting with the Post Office. Then I went to the Church of the Advent where I will be helping serve a community dinner this Wednesday 10.27. My final stop was at the local library branch to see what opportunities there might be for the children. That night I spoke to Anne on the phone about some more logistics of the party and we picked our Cincinnati Symphony ticket dates. Then the guys and I went downtown to T.J. Maxx. It was interesting getting home because the bus we took there had stopped running by the time we were ready to head back. Thank goodness the guys have experience with public transportation!

Thursday I spent the majority of the day working on the Halloween Block Party that is this coming Saturday from 4 to 6 p.m. (10.30.10). I sent an email to the church for the supplies that are needed. I also discovered there is an opportunity to organize waiting for me at the church! That evening Joe was kind enough to take us to another area. Jonny went to Best Buy and Thorsten and I went to Wal-Mart. I don't know when I have been so excited to go to my favorite getaway! (For those of you who may not know me as well this is not a joke. I am a simple girl!)

Friday was pretty much a loss for me. I do not know what came over me but I was an emotional wreck all day! Thankfully my grandma took the time to talk to me and remind me that I'm a child of the King and He has a plan and a purpose! That night Anne took me to Newport on the Levee and we went to see Waiting for Superman and had amazing pizza! It was a fantastic girls' night out!

Saturday I woke up and decided to pull my bootstraps up. The guys went on a bike ride so I had the house to myself again, but I made better use of it than a pity-party. I worked on devotions and Bible reading. When Joe came to get the guys I decided to ride along and they dropped me at a Panera Bread while they went to an electronics store. Shannon and Joe have a fabulous home and it was amazing to spend the evening with them. The food was phenomenal and the time in fellowship was just what I needed! We even got to experience Graeter's (a Cincinnati ice cream shop that has been in business 140 years).

Yesterday was a superb day! Church was fun! Then the meeting with Anne, Parker, and Katie was completely enjoyable. We had a wonderful house meeting! Then the guys and I went shopping for our food for the week and that was an economic success. Finally we came home and fixed supper. Then I got to watch The Amazing Race! I stayed up to post to the discussion board for my class and got to bed about 1 a.m.

Well, not sure that every time I post it will be like a journal, but it was just what I needed to do this time to know what all has gone on since we arrived. I hope people enjoy reading about what is going on in our lives. Please keep the Halloween Block Party in your prayers!

Jamie

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that y'all are continuing with the blog. I really enjoyed it during our Cincy year. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete