June 26, 2010

Camp - Enjoying the Moments

Tomorrow I head off to Woodland Altars, the Church of the Brethren camp for the Southern Ohio district. I'll be taking six kids from Cincy COB with me and I'll be a counselor.

This day has been a long time coming. First there was registration, then requesting supplies, counselor training, buying supplies, packing supplies, finding rides, and tomorrow finally going to camp.

Everything should be in place, I've planned lessons, games, and crafts, hoping to give the kids the best possible camp experience. This is the first time that most of these kids have gone to camp by themselves. For some of them, it will be the first time they have spent an extended period of time outside of the city, spent time with nature.

As I'm packing the last of the supplies I'm realizing that while I hope the kids enjoy what is planned, I think it will be all the unplanned things like games, songs, and campfires that will be memorable to the kids. The conversations and laughter during meals, seeing something new will be what they remember.

How often in our adult lives do we forget to enjoy the unplanned, to live in the moment? I know I often forget to enjoy those moments of spontaneity, those moments of living in the here and now, not the future. The BVS house did just that last weekend. We went to the Juneteenth festival at Mirror Lake by our house. We enjoyed food, music, and learned a little Civil War history. Not only that, we decided to make a trip to the Cincinnati Art Museum right next door and enjoyed wandering through the exhibits looking at the artistic gifts of artists spanning several centuries. Pretty much unplanned, but relaxing and fun!

So my challenge for myself and others is this - leave some space on the calendar this summer for the unplanned and see what happens, I bet it will be exciting! It's off to camp we go!!!

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment