March 8, 2010

The Simple Things

Spring has sprung here in Cincinnati and the warm, beautiful sun has got me thinking about enjoying the simple things in life.So here are a few things I've enjoyed lately, maybe these will inspire you to enjoy the simple things wherever you are.

In our house, we really really enjoy sweets. Sweets in any variety from the chocolate sent from Hershey to the pies that Laura makes. The other night, Katie, Ben, and I decided to satisfy our craving with cupcakes and frosting. As we giddily stirred the batter and watched the cupcakes bake in the oven, I realized just how little it takes to please me. These cupcakes were not a beautiful, gourmet feast, just simple cupcakes. One or two fell apart as we got them out of the pan, that didn't matter. What mattered was that all three of us enjoyed making them, and we satisfied our need for sugar.

On Saturday, it was warm, the sun was shinning brightly, and there was not a cloud in the sky. One of the first times this has happened in a long long time. Katie and I decided to take advantage of the weather and walk to the neighborhood right next to us, Mt. Adams. This neighborhood has a great vibe and a wonderful coffee shop. All it took to make the day a great one was some sunshine, coffee, and conversation. Three simple things that cost very little, but made me relaxed. It helped that the coffee shop had a half door open to the sun, and dogs that peered in while their owners were getting drinks and food!

Over the last few days, I have not even left the front porch to find relaxation. All I have had to do is climb up on the ledge of the porch with a good book or my computer. There are of course the sounds of the city all around me, but this makes me feel like the world is alive again. Gosh I love spring!

All of these things that I've done lately are simple. None of them cost much money, if any at all, but they have made me happy. Think about the simple things that you have enjoyed in the past, give them a try, I bet you'll find yourself smiling!

Happy Spring,

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment